Professor Oyeronke A. ODUNOLA
Department of Biochemistry
The Department of Biochemistry was a part of the Department of Physiology in the Faculty of Medicine from the beginning of this University. In 1955 Dr. O. Bassir, a biochemist with special interest in Nutritional Biochemistry, joined the staff of Physiology as Head of the Sub-Department of Biochemistry.
The Department assumed the status of a full Department in 1960. A chair in biochemistry was created in 1962 and Dr. O. Bassir was the first occupant. Thus Dr. O. Bassir became foundation Professor and Head of Department of Biochemistry; a position he held until retirement from University service in 1979. Since the retirement of Professor Bassir, and following the creation of multiple Professorships in academic departments, newly promoted Professors have headed the Department with equal zeal and commitment as their predecessor.
Although, the Department had developed with emphasis on Nutritional Biochemistry from its inception, its philosophy has since widened considerably and areas of teaching and research had been expanded to include Biotechnology; Brewing; Drug Metabolism and Toxicology; Forensic Biochemistry; Membrane Biochemistry; Microbial Chemistry and Fermentation; Molecular Biology and Oncology.
Today, postgraduate teaching and research in the Department has been re-organized into four broad academic sections, namely;
These four sections have been operational since 1984. The Cancer Research and Molecular Biology Unit is under the directorship of Dr. Oyeronke.A. Odunola while the Membrane Biochemistry and Biotechnology Unit is under the directorship of Professor O.O. Olorunsogo. The Molecular Drug Metabolism and Toxicology Unit is under the directorship of Professor E.O Farombi while the Nutritional and Industrial Biochemistry/Biochemical Toxicology Unit is under the directorship of Professor E.N. Maduagwu.